Thursday, October 20, 2011

Review: Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children

Title: Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children
Author: Ransom Riggs
Publisher: Quirk Books
Genre:  YA, Fantasy
Rating: 4/5

Why I picked it: Love the concept of a story motivated by found pictures. Plus...AWESOME cover appeal.

Synopsis:  A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of very curious photographs.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.
Review: From the very moment I happened to stumble upon this book on Amazon, I was intrigued. The cover is fantastic and gives off such a spooky air that I couldn't help but be drawn to it. Although I went into it expecting horror and got fantasy...I was not at all disappointed.

Ransom Riggs collects "found" photos. These old, and often super creepy, pictures are the inspiration behind this novel, which incorporates those images with a fantastical tale about a teenage boy trying to find his place in life.

Jacob has grown up listening to his grandfather's stories about an island on which there is a school filled with "peculiar" children who all have different special talents. When old enough to dismiss such fantastical ideas as magic, Jacob decides to take his grandfather's stories with a grain of salt - that is, until tragedy strikes and our hero realizes there might have been some truth behind it all. The story follows Jacob as he attempts to uncover the hidden secrets of his grandfather's life - with a lot of humor and descriptive language peppered throughout.

I must admit this book hooked me really fast and the author's build-up of events kept me reading well past my bedtime. I loved how the photos were incorporated into the text - with descriptions preceding actual pictures. I found myself really excited to turn the page and see what the described characters looked like. I also really enjoyed that these seemingly scary pictures were turned into something more innocent via the story. Instead of scared, I found myself fascinated by the photos.

One thing I did not care for was how the story builds up to a sequel (which has already been announced). In plain terms, there is more of a lack of resolution than I usually like. Don't get me wrong, I like to read a series but I especially like to read a series where a book can stand alone. While this one can, it's teetering on that edge of the unknown. And as a totally random side note, I actually thought to myself as I read "Hey! There's not many pages left and it seems like too much is still open ended. But they'd have a hard time making this a series, unless they have many pictures of same individuals or enough pictures that kind of obscure the subject's face."

Overall, it was a very enjoyable read and I liked the format and the imaginative story. I would highly recommend this book, but be forewarned - if you like an ending wrapped in a neat and tidy bow, you will likely be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment