Monday, February 27, 2012

Review: Everneath by Brodi Ashton

Title: Everneath
Author: Brodi Ashton
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Genre: YA, Paranormal
Rating: 4/5

Synopsis: Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she's returned- to her old life, her family, her friends- before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever.

She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there's a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen.

As Nikki's time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she's forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's...


Review: "Everneath" is a new addition to the YA paranormal genre, with a focus on Greek mythology, as well as the entire concept of an underworld (in both Greek and Egyptian myth).

 The story centers on Nikki Beckett, who vanishes for 100 years into a place known as the Everneath - where immortal beings feed off of human emotions and basically leave behind a shell of the person. Those 100 years are actually 6 months, in the real world, and Nikki returns to make amends, say goodbye to the people she loves, and to maybe reignite her relationship with her boyfriend, Jack.

Nikki's return is bittersweet. Not only has it been assumed that her disappearance was due to severe drug problems but also, there is an expiration of time that she has until she is banished into the underworld permanently - another 6 months.

The book immediately drew me into the story. I certainly found myself holding my breath as I read Nikki's time ticking away. It was also really interesting to have the back and forth narrative that explained how Nikki even got to the point where she was taken under. Cole, the bad-boy supernatural being in this story, was actually pretty likeable and a perfect contrast to Jack. I thought the entire concept and story moved along really well and, most importantly, it was hard to put down.

Ultimately though, there were a few minor issues that irked me and thus had me wavering between a 3 and 4 star rating for this book. One of these was about Nikki's treatment of her family upon her return. I know the book is about love and all that jazz, but really, it was so focused on that romantic aspect that it Nikki came off a little bit uncaring to her father and brother. It irked me that Jack was really the ONLY thought that kept her alive - especially when she has an innocent little brother and a father who really seems to care for her, and who also just suffered a major loss.

Overall, I had to go with a 4-star rating because the book truly captured me and I'm just dying to read the rest of the series to find out what happens next. I'd highly recommend this one to all YA paranormal lovers.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed your review. I have a copy of Everneath, but have not been able to get to it yet. I have read some mixed reviews, but since I already own it, I will eventually give it a try.

    ReplyDelete