Monday, February 13, 2012

Review: Friends With Boys by Faith Erin Hicks

Title: Friends With Boys
Author: Faith Erin Hicks
Publisher: First Second
Genre: YA, Graphic Novel
Rating: 4/5

Synopsis: A coming-of-age tale with a spooky twist!

Maggie McKay hardly knows what to do with herself. After an idyllic childhood of homeschooling with her mother and rough-housing with her older brothers, it’s time for Maggie to face the outside world, all on her own. But that means facing high school first. And it also means solving the mystery of the melancholy ghost who has silently followed Maggie throughout her entire life. Maybe it even means making a new friend—one who isn’t one of her brothers.

Funny, surprising, and tender, Friends with Boys is a pitch perfect YA graphic novel full of spooky supernatural fun


Review: I wasn't sure what to expect from "Friends With Boys," but what I got was exactly what I needed - something to break me out of my lack of reading slump. Not to mention, the slump was broken in the best way possible - with a cute, refreshing, quick read that put a big ol' smile on my face.

The story centers around Maggie, who is starting her first year of high school after being home schooled. As in any "coming of age" stories, there is just the perfect blend of anxiety and excitement of what high school has to offer - with the cliques, the spots to avoid, and the places to be. As Maggie learned the ropes, I was totally brought back to that first day of high-school, myself - to the point where there were definitely a few small butterflies in my stomach.

The drawings are super adorable and both pictures and text work so well together that it really made for such a fun, interesting read. The story itself is really cute but, unfortunately, leaves a lot of questions unanswered. It definitely sets itself up for a sequel, which is why I could give this book only 4 stars and not 5. There is a lot of setup and not enough resolution for my tastes. Overall though, I truly would recommend this book to readers of all ages, but especially those who are on that cusp of being a "real" teenager and entering high school. What a cute, little read!

No comments:

Post a Comment