Friday, September 6, 2013

Review: Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol

Title: Anya's Ghost
Author: Vera Brosgol
Publisher: First Second
Genre: YA, Graphic Novels, Paranormal
Rating: 5/5

Synopsis: Anya could really use a friend. But her new BFF isn't kidding about the "Forever" part. Of all the things Anya expected to find at the bottom of an old well, a new friend was not one of them. Especially not a new friend who’s been dead for a century.

Falling down a well is bad enough, but Anya's normal life might actually be worse. She's embarrassed by her family, self-conscious about her body, and she's pretty much given up on fitting in at school. A new friend—even a ghost—is just what she needs. Or so she thinks.

Spooky, sardonic, and secretly sincere, Anya's Ghost is a wonderfully entertaining debut from author/artist Vera Brosgol.

Review: It's always so much harder for me to effectively write a review for a book I loved than it is for a book I hated. If I hate it, I can tell you all the reasons why. But love? Well, sometimes it's just everything! The book as a whole makes me giddy, resonates with me somehow, or otherwise captures my full admiration. That is absolutely the case with "Anya's Ghost" by Vera Brosgol.

Although mostly categorized as a graphic novel with a paranormal edge, there is really a wonderful coming-of-age story that I could absolutely relate to...having once been an awkward teenage girl from an Eastern European country. Yet, even without the immigrant experience, there is this relate-able aspect to this book that is sure to resonate with most teenage girls.

The wonderfully expressive illustrations work so well in conjunction with the text, which I'd have to admit is sparse - but in this case, it works!! Vera's illustrations do such a wonderful job of telling a story with just the right amount of detail. Although in black and white, nothing is lost without color. As a matter of fact, I think the choice works for the story from a paranormal angle!

And speaking of paranormal, there is the right amount of creepiness to the story! Emily, who is Anya's ghost, convincingly (well...as convincingly as any ghost story can manage) goes from friend to foe with the perfect level of angst, desperation, and longing. Sure, she's pretty psychotic...but I kinda feel bad for her too!

I am really glad I got a chance to read this book. It was quick, cute, and legitimately awesome. Check out the trailer!

Goodreads | Amazon | Author's Site



5/5 teapots!!

No comments:

Post a Comment